Saturday, November 19, 2011

Feathered Dinosaurs


I spotted this article in the Evening Standard on my way home after my day out at the British Library's Crime Across the Continent event:
A fossilised dino-bird that confirmed Darwin's theory of evolution is to be the centrepiece of a new £2m gallery at the Natural History Museum, it was confirmed today.

Archaeopteryx lithographica, a 147 million-year-old fossil with both bird and reptile features, will go on display at The Treasures Gallery.
Usually I would have read the article and passed on without much of a second thought but having just read The Dinosaur Feather by Sissel-Jo Gazan it struck a chord. If you read Maxine's review you'll see why.

The Dinosaur Feather
, ably translated (as usual!) by Charlotte Barslund, is an unusual book but one that despite its scientific background is not too heavy and I read it quite quickly. Gazan is one of a relatively small but increasing number of Danish crime authors available in English translation.

You can read more about Dino-Birds at the Natural History Museum website.

1 comment:

Maxine Clarke said...

Nice picture - and good spot! Although I had mixed views about Dinosaur Feather (a better edit would have helped), I hope she writes more books as I think she's got talent.