Monday, January 24, 2022
Sunday, January 23, 2022
I spotted Tim Weaver's new book on Facebook and thought the cover reminded me slightly of The Monogram Murders. And then several more similar covers popped up on the library catalogue and then I was shelving Liz Pichon's Shoe Wars (junior fiction) and turned it over and lo another golden light breaking through the door!
Tuesday, January 18, 2022
Little, Brown has posted that the new entry in the Strike series by Robert Galbraith is to be called The Ink Black Heart and will be published 30 August 2022. No plot details have been announced as of yet.
I rather behind in reading this series but have enjoyed the tv series with its excellent cast.
Monday, January 17, 2022
Not much to report this week. I've been busy on the Petrona 2022 sending emails - more on that soon.
Reading-wise I'm still on Bones to Pick by Linda Lovely. The sleuth is vegan but I think vegan on health grounds rather than ethical as she wears suede and wool. It's an easy read but I've been distracted by the political chaos going on in the UK and reading more on The Guardian website than my book.
We finished Partisan which we liked but it left much unexplained. It was a five episode series but a sixth might have helped!
I've also been catching up on the 'Hallmark Mysteries' that have been on Channel 5 lately eg Ruby Herring, Mystery 101. Very easy to knit to.
Monday, January 10, 2022
Here's a little update on what I've been doing:
As well as publishing the January releases, I've manged to update the website as well.
I've finished both books I was reading and listening to in my last post: Murder on the Lusitania by Edward Marston and The Joy and Light Bus Company by Alexander McCall Smith (read by Adjoa Andoh). I enjoyed both. I will continue with the Ocean Liner series by Edward Marston for at least for another book. I enjoyed the history-side of the story more than the plot and characters but it's a nice light read. There are eight books in the series so it'll be interesting to see how the series is kept fresh when the setting is in effect the same.
I will listen to Adjoa Andoh read anything - if she stops narrating the Mma Ramotse series, I'm not sure if I would continue to read them! I probably would and hope that I hear her voice as I read.
US Cozy - regular readers will know I have a penchant for them - which features a Vegan sleuth. I have a short list of Vegetarian sleuths and Linda Lovely's Brie Hooker series is the only adult vegan sleuth I've come across.
I've started the first book in this three-book series, which is Bones to Pick.
On the TV, OH and I are watching the Swedish crime series, Partisan, starring Fares Fares, which you can watch on All4.
Saturday, January 08, 2022
I've recently updated the main files on the Euro Crime website. "Euro Crime" includes both British and other European crime fiction writers (that have been published in English); non-British/European born crime writers who are strongly associated with British/European crime fiction (eg. Donna Leon), and crime writers in translation from outside of Europe.
My usual reminders regarding the New Releases page:
2. When a book is released "early" in ebook I am taking the publication date as to be when the print edition comes out (this is the rule we use for determining Petrona Award eligibility).
Here's a summary of the usual updates:
**Some reviews will be provided by the Crime Review website.
I've updated the bibliographies (ie added new titles) for: Cathy Ace, Jane Adams, Maria Adolfsson, Eva Björg Ægisdóttir, Stefan Ahnhem, Tasha Alexander, Hania Allen, Tove Alsterdal, Lin Anderson, Lawrence Anholt, Friedrich Ani, M J Arlidge, Jennifer Ashley, Stephanie Austin, Jean-Luc Bannalec, Jo Bannister, Lizzy Barber, Penny Batchelor, Belinda Bauer, M C Beaton, Natasha Bell, Lina Bengtsdotter, Tom Benjamin, Parker Bilal, Mark Billingham, Benjamin Black, Robin Blake, Sam Blake, Rachael Blok, Sharon Bolton, Katarzyna Bonda, Hilary Bonner, Oliver Bottini, Rhys Bowen, Tom Bradby, Lisa Bradley, Rebecca Bradley, Simon Brett, Neil Broadfoot, Frances Brody, Christopher Brookmyre, Eric Brown, Ken Bruen, Simone Buchholz, Fiona Buckley, Sheila Bugler, Graeme Macrae Burnet, Susanna Calkins, Stella Cameron, Andrea Camilleri, Ros Carne, Gianrico Carofiglio, Sam Carrington, Alan Carter, Will Carver, Jane Casey, Joyce Cato, Steve Cavanagh, Ray Celestin, Kimberley Chambers, Julia Chapman, A A Chaudhuri, Lee Child, Alys Clare, Cassandra Clark, Ann Cleeves, Rory Clements, Daniel Cole, Karen Cole, John Connolly, Simon Conway, Lesley Cookman, Julie Corbin, Jane Corry, James Craig, M W Craven, Elle Croft, Richard Crompton, A J Cross, Julia Crouch, Charles Cumming, Judith Cutler, Lisa Cutts, Alex Dahl, Kjell Ola Dahl, Emma Dakin, Luca D'Andrea, David Stuart Davies Martin Davies, Merilyn Davies, Michelle Davies, Augusto De Angelis, Maurizio De Giovanni, Anders de la Motte, Jason Dean, Will Dean, Victor del Arbol, Luke Delaney, James Delargy, Hannah Dennison, A A Dhand, Katerina Diamond, P C/Paul Doherty, Eva Dolan, Claire Douglas, Victoria Dowd, David Downing, Charlotte Duckworth, Margaret Duffy, Matthew Dunn, Marjorie Eccles, Martin Edwards, Rachel Edwards, Jim Eldridge, Lexie Elliott, Bella Ellis, Joy Ellis, Roger Jon/R J Ellory, Nuala Ellwood, Marc Elsberg, Katrine Engberg, Kjell Eriksson, Fiona Erskine, Andrew Ewart, Alice Feeney, Jessica Fellowes, Helen Fields, Charles Finch, Caz Finlay, Mick Finlay, Sebastian Fitzek, Marcello Fois, Christopher Fowler, Dick/Felix Francis, Matthew Frank, Dianne Freeman, Nicci French, John Fullerton, Santiago Gamboa, Frank Gardner, Elizabeth George, Carin Gerhardsen, Mario Giordano, Robert Goddard, Leonard Goldberg, Dolores Gordon-Smith, Claire Gradidge, Ann Granger, Alex Gray, Lisa Gray, Alex Grecian, Susanna Gregory, Elly Griffiths, Rebecca Griffiths, Emily Gunnis, Peter Guttridge, Lisa Hall, Janice Hallett, Karen Hamilton, Peter Hanington, C B Hanley, Mari Hannah, C S Harris, Oliver Harris, Cora Harrison, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, Romy Hausmann, Alis Hawkins, Paula Hawkins, Sarah Hawkswood, Sam Hayes, Ruth Heald, Veronica Heley, Mandasue Heller, Mick Herron, Keigo Higashino, Sarah Hilary, Susan Hill, M K Hill, Suzette A Hill, Matt Hilton, SJI/Susi Holliday, Anne Holt, Noelle Holton, Anthony Horowitz, Jorn Lier Horst, Horst & Enger, Catherine Ryan Howard, Debbie Howells, Bogdan Hrib, Anna Lee Huber, Cara Hunter, Graham Hurley, Kotaro Isaka, Graham Ison, David Jackson, Bill James, Christina James, Peter James, Susanne Jansson, Quintin Jardine, Michael Jecks, Ragnar Jonasson, Philip Gwynne Jones, Sandie Jones, Alan Judd, Lesley Kara, Christobel Kent, Erin Kelly, Tony Kent, Lars Kepler, Simon Kernick, Yasmina Khadra, Vaseem Khan, Olivia Kiernan, Laurie R King, T E Kinsey, Erin Kinsley, Margaret Kirk, Bill Kitson, Alanna Knight, Joseph Knox, Roberta Kray, Lynda La Plante, Camilla Lackberg, L A Larkin, Antoine Laurain, Liz Lawler, Herve Le Corre, Stephen Leather, Adam Lebor, Anna Legat, Donna Leon, Niall Leonard, Howard Linskey, Catherine Lloyd, Chris Lloyd, Frances Lloyd, Gytha Lodge, Peter Lovesey, Christopher Lowery, Walter Lucius, Rachel Lynch, Siobhan MacDonald, Lorraine Mace, Niki Mackay, Clare Mackintosh, Torquil MacLeod, Susan Elia MacNeal, Adrian Magson, Karen Maitland, G M Malliet, Michael J Malone, Scott Mariani, David Mark, Laura Marshall, Edward Marston, Andrew Martin, Faith Martin, Guillermo Martinez, Priscilla Masters, Alyssa Maxwell, Luke McCallin, Val McDermid, Andy McDermott, Brian McGilloway, Liam McIlvanney, William McIlvanney, Fiona McIntosh, Catriona McPherson, Dervla McTiernan, Elmer Mendoza, Deon Meyer, Alex Michaelides, Sam Michaels, Denise Mina, D A Mishani, Caroline Mitchell, J S Monroe, Phoebe Morgan, Frank/T F Muir, Abir Mukherjee, Peter Murphy, Guillaume Musso, Barbara Nadel, Niklas Natt och Dag, Sarah J Naughton, Jo Nesbo, Hakan Nesser, Stuart Neville, Chris Nickson, Olivier Norek, Lauren North, Carlene O'Connor, Nick Oldham, Richard Osman, Darren O'Sullivan, James Oswald, Alan Parks, C L Pattison, Nell Pattison, Mary Paulson-Ellis, David Peace, Andrea Penrose, Anne Perry, S W Perry, Christoffer Petersen, Claudia Pineiro, Henry Porter, Laura Purcell, Jenny Quintana, Caro Ramsay, Deanna Raybourn, Sarah Rayne, Rebecca Reid, Rod Reynolds, Kate Rhodes, Matthew Richardson, Phil Rickman, Michael Ridpath, Mike Ripley, Craig Robertson, Michael Robotham, Gemma Rogers, Jacqui Rose, Rosemary Rowe, Jean-Christophe Rufin, Craig Russell, Leigh Russell, William Ryan, Kate Saunders, Alex Scarrow, Simon Scarrow, Katharine Schellman, Robert Scragg, Holly Seddon, Helen Sedgwick, Claire Seeber, Max Seeck, Mark Sennen, Gerald Seymour, Zoe Sharp, M B Shaw, William Shaw, Sara Sheridan, Mel Sherratt, Will Shindler, Jeffrey Siger, Lilja Sigurdardottir, Yrsa Sigurdardottir, Georges Simenon, C J Skuse, Joanna Campbell Slan, Alex Smith, Alexander McCall Smith, Anna Smith, Fiona Veitch Smith, Jo Spain, Sally Spencer, Gunnar Staalesen, Cath Staincliffe, Catherine Steadman, Peter Steiner, Linda Stratmann, S D Sykes, Maryla Szymiczkowa, Emma Tallon, Andrew Taylor, C L Taylor, Aline Templeton, Russ Thomas, Sherry Thomas, E S Thomson, Lesley Thomson, Marilyn Todd, Rebecca Tope, Peter Tremayne, Camilla Trinchieri, M J Trow, Lynne Truss, C J Tudor, Antti Tuomainen, Helene Tursten, L C Tyler, Christian Unge, Nicola Upson, Luca Veste, David P Wagner, Martin Walker, B P Walter, Alex Walters, Rhiannon Ward, Douglas Watt, Holly Watt, Kerry Watts, Daisy Waugh, Ashley Weaver, Tim Weaver, Louise Welsh, Jeri Westerson, Nicola White, S R White, Lucie Whitehouse Kevin Wignall, Kerry Wilkinson, Jacqueline Winspear, James Wolff, Tom Wood and Michael Wood.
Friday, January 07, 2022
Here's a snapshot of what I think is published for the first time in January 2022 (and is usually a UK date but occasionally will be a US or Australian date). January and future months can be found on the Future Releases page. If I've missed anything or got the date wrong, do please leave a comment. I've added the translator's name where known.• Amphlett, Rachel - The Man Cave - Case Files
• Ani, Friedrich - Killing Happiness #2 Jakob Franck tr. Alexander Booth
• Bettany, Jane - Without a Trace #2 DI Isabel Blood, Derbyshire
• Blake, Sam - Remember My Name
• Bonner, Sarah - Her Perfect Twin
• Booth, Matthew - A Talent for Murder (ebook only) #1 Everett Carr, 1930s
• Brett, Simon - Blotto, Twinks and the Suspicious Guests #11 Brother and sister sleuths, Blotto and Twinks
• Brown, Eric - Murder Most Vile #9 Donald Langham, Crime Writer, London, 1955
• Byatt, Mandy - Just Another Liar
• Chase, Clare - Mystery at Magpie Lodge #7 Eve Mallow, Saxford St Peter
• Christie, Emma - Find Her First
• Cleeves, Ann - The Girls on the Shore #1 Detective Matthew Venn Novella
• Clements, Rory - The Man in the Bunker #6 Thomas Wilde, 1930s
• Coffey, Edel - Breaking Point
• Cooper, N A - Ripple Effect (ebook only)
• Crompton, Richard - Mountain of God #4 Mollel, a crime-solving former Maasai warrior, Nairobi, Kenya
• Dalgliesh, J M - Fool Me Twice (ebook only) #10 Tom Janssen, Norfolk
• D'Andrea, Luca - The Wanderer tr. Katherine Gregor
• de Gramont, Nina - The Christie Affair
• de la Motte, Anders - Dead of Winter #3 Seasons Quartet tr. Marlaine Delargy
• Dranfield, Wendy - The Birthday Party
• Dunphy, S A - Lost Graves #2 Boyle & Keneally
• Eldridge, Jim - Murder at the National Gallery #7 Former Detective Inspector Daniel Wilson
• Eriksson, Kjell - The Deathwatch Beetle #12 Detective Ann Lindell, Uppsala, Sweden tr. Paul Norlen
• Finney, Keith - A Deadly Mistake #3 Lipton St Faith Mysteries, Norfolk
• George, Elizabeth - Something to Hide #21 Inspector Thomas Lynley & Sergeant Barbara Havers
• Gibbons, Seán - Find The Killer (ebook only) #3 Ben Miller, Taxi Driver, Galway
• Gilman, David - Betrayal #2 Dan Raglan
• Goodwin, Dawn - What I Never Told You
• Grecian, Alex - One Eye Open
• Greenwood, Ross - Jail Break (ebook only)
• Hall, Traci - Murder at a Scottish Social #3 Paislee Shaw, Nairn, Scotland
• Hallett, Janice - The Twyford Code
• Halsall, Rona - The Guest Room (ebook only)
• Hannah, Sophie - The Couple at the Table
• Hewitt, J M - The Eight-Year Lie
• Hindle, Tom - A Fatal Crossing
• Holton, Noelle - Dead Mercy #5 DC Maggie Jamieson
• Howells, Debbie - The Secret
• Hutton, Callie - The Mystery of Albert E. Finch #3 Victorian Bookclub Mystery
• James, Bill - Low Pastures #36 DCS Harpur and ACC Iles
• Jensen, Louise - All For You
• Johnstone, Stuart - Into the Dark #2 Sergeant Don Colyear
• Kaya, Kerry - Under Dog (ebook only) #1 Carter Brothers
• Kepler, Lars - The Mirror Man #8 DI Joona Linna, Stockholm tr. Alice Menzies
• King, Hannah - She and I
• Kluver, Joy - Left for Dead #3 Detective Bernadette Noel
• Leather, Stephen - Standing Alone #2 Matt Standing
• Legat, Anna - At Death's Door #2 Shires Mysteries
• Louth, Nick - The Body Beneath the Willows #9 DCI Craig Gillard
• Manning, Nina - Queen Bee (ebook only)
• Mason, Simon - A Killing in November #1 DI Ray Wilkins, Oxford
• McCleave, Simon - The Lake Vyrnwy Killings (ebook only) #11 DI Ruth Hunter
• McIlvanney, Liam - The Heretic #2 DI Duncan McCormac, Glasgow
• McKenzie, Grant - The Seven Truths of Hannah Baxter (ebook only) #3 Ian Quinn
• McLean, Rachel - The Millionaire Murders #5 DCI Lesley Clarke, Dorset
• Mitchell, Caroline - The Village
• Moss, NJ - My Dead Husband (ebook only)
• Mullen, Owen - Hustle #3 Glass Family
• Natt och Dag, Niklas - 1794: The City Between the Bridges #2 Jean Mickel Cardell tr. Ebba Segerberg
• O'Brien, Jenny - Buried Lies #5 Detective Gaby Darin
• Perry, Tasmina - The Last Supper (ebook only) #2 Lara Stone, Investigative Reporter
• Phifer, Helen - Find the Girl #5 Detective Morgan Brookes
• Robertson, Craig - The Undiscovered Deaths of Grace McGill (as C S Robertson)
• Rosenfeldt, Hans - Cry Wolf tr. Elizabeth Clark Wessel
• Roy, Jacqueline - The Gosling Girl
• Russell, Leigh - Guilt Edged #17 DI Geraldine Steel
• Ryan, William - The Winter Guest (as W C Ryan)
• Savage, Caro - Hunted (ebook only)
• Scarrow, Alex - The Safe Place (ebook only) #5 DCI Boyd
• Schneider, Hansjorg - Silver Pebbles #2 Inspector Hunkeler tr. Mike Mitchell
• Staalesen, Gunnar - Bitter Flowers #9 Varg Veum, PI in Bergen, Norway tr. Don Bartlett
• Sten, Viveca - Buried in Secret #10 Sandhamn Murders tr. Marlaine Delargy
• Stratmann, Linda - Sherlock Holmes and the Explorers' Club (ebook only) #2 Early Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
• Thompson, Derek - West Country Murder (ebook only) #2 Detective Craig Wild
• Tope, Rebecca - The Threlkeld Theory #11 Persimmon Brown, Florist, Lake District
• Walker, Rosie - The House Fire
• Weatherley, Anna-Lou - The Night of the Party
• Welsh, Louise - The Second Cut #2 Rilke
• White, Nicola - The Burning Boy #3 Vincent Swan
• Wood, Trevor - Dead End Street #3 Jimmy Mullen, Newcastle
• Woods, Karen - Tease
• Wright, Adam J - House of the Dead (ebook only) #4 Murder Force