I've posted before about famous people as sleuths including books which feature Charlotte Brontë as sleuth and another about Jane Eyre having her own series.
I'm very much looking forward to reading Rowan Coleman's new book, published under the pseudonym of Bella Ellis, The Vanished Bride, which features all three Brontë sisters as sleuths.
The Vanished Bride is released first in the US, in September, followed by the UK release in November.
No only are the covers different but so are the blurbs (taken from Amazon):
Yorkshire, 1845. A young wife and mother has gone missing from her home, leaving behind two small children and a large pool of blood. Just a few miles away, a humble parson's daughters--the Brontë sisters--learn of the crime. Charlotte, Emily, and Anne Brontë are horrified and intrigued by the mysterious disappearance.
These three creative, energetic, and resourceful women quickly realize that they have all the skills required to make for excellent "lady detectors." Not yet published novelists, they have well-honed imaginations and are expert readers. And, as Charlotte remarks, "detecting is reading between the lines--it's seeing what is not there."
As they investigate, Charlotte, Emily, and Anne are confronted with a society that believes a woman's place is in the home, not scouring the countryside looking for clues. But nothing will stop the sisters from discovering what happened to the vanished bride, even as they find their own lives are in great peril...
A young woman has gone missing from her home, Chester Grange, leaving no trace, save a large pool of blood in her bedroom and a slew of dark rumours about her marriage. A few miles away across the moors, the daughters of a humble parson, Charlotte, Emily, and Anne Brontë are horrified, yet intrigued.
Desperate to find out more, the sisters visit Chester Grange, where they notice several unsettling details about the crime scene: not least the absence of an investigation. Together, the young women realise that their resourcefulness, energy and boundless imaginations could help solve the mystery - and that if they don't attempt to find out what happened to Elizabeth Chester, no one else will.
The path to the truth is not an easy one, especially in a society which believes a woman's place to be in the home, not wandering the countryside looking for clues. But nothing will stop the sisters from discovering what happened to the vanished bride, even as they find their own lives are in great peril...
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Friday, June 07, 2019
Here's a snapshot of what I think is published for the first time in June 2019 (and is usually a UK date but occasionally will be a US or Australian date). June and future months (and years) can be found on the Future Releases page. If I've missed anything or got the date wrong, do please leave a comment.
• Amphlett, Rachel - The Friend Who Lied
• Ashley, Jennifer - Death in Kew Gardens #3 Kat Holloway, Victorian Era
• Atkinson, Kate - Big Sky #5 Jackson Brodie, Retired PI
• Austin, Stephanie - Dead in Devon #1 Juno Browne
• Baker, Jo - The Body Lies
• Beck, Haylen - Lost You
• Black, Cara - Murder in Bel Air #19 Aimee Leduc, Paris
• Brolly, Matt - Dead Lucky #2 DCI Lambert
• Cameron, Stella - Trap Lane #6 Alex Duggins, Folly-on-Weir, Cotswolds
• Candlish, Louise - Those People
• Cavanagh, Steve - Twisted
• Chapman, Julia - Date with Poison #4 The Dales Detective Series
• Chase, Clare - Murder in the Fens #4 Tara Thorpe
• Clark, Cassandra - Murder at Whitby Abbey #10 Hildegard, Nun, 14thC, Yorkshire
• Connor, John - The Opposite of Mercy (also published under the name Tom Winship in 2011)
• Cookman, Lesley - Death Treads the Boards #3 Dorinda, Owner of the Alexandria Theatre, Edwardian Era
• Corry, Jane - Child of Mine
• Craven, M W - Black Summer #2 Washington Poe
• Davey, E M - The Killing Gene
• De Giovanni, Maurizio - Cold for the Bastards of Pizzofalcone #3 Bastards of Pizzofalcone
• Dhand, A A - One Way Out #4 Detective Harry Virdee, Bradford
• Dickson, Diane M - Brutal Pursuit #3 DI Tanya Miller
• Dyer, Ashley - The Cutting Room #2 Sergeant Ruth Lake and DCI Greg Carver
• Flint, Shamini - The Beijing Conspiracy
• Frear, Caz - Stone Cold Heart #2 DC Cat Kinsella, London
• Freeman, Dianne - A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder #2 Countess of Harleigh, Victorian England
• Galbraith, Gillian - The End of the Line
• Giolito, Malin Persson - Beyond All Reasonable Doubt
• Goldberg, Leonard - The Disappearance of Alistair Ainsworth #3 Daughter of Sherlock Holmes series
• Gray, Lisa - Thin Air #1 Jessica Shaw
• Halsall, Rona - The Honeymoon
• Heald, Ruth - The Mother's Mistake
• Herron, M - Joe Country #6 Slough House
• Hurley, Graham - Raid 42 #4 Wars Within
• Ison, Graham - Naked Flames #17 DI Brock & DS Poole
• Jones, Sandie - The First Mistake
• Kent, Serena - Death in Avignon #2 Penelope Kite
• Kirk, Margaret - What Lies Buried #2 ex-Met Detective Inspector Lukas Mahler, Inverness
• Koomson, Dorothy - Tell Me Your Secret
• Linskey, Howard - Ungentlemanly Warfare
• Mace, Lorraine - Injections of Insanity #3 DI Sterling
• Mackay, Malcolm - A Line of Forgotten Blood #2 Darian Ross, PI
• Macmillan, Gilly - The Nanny
• Manzini, Antonio - Spring Cleaning #4 Rocco Schiavone, deputy prefect of police, Italian Alps
• Marston, Edward - The Unseen Hand #8 Inspector Harvey Marmion and Sergeant Joe Keedy
• Martin, Andrew - The Winker
• Maslen, Andy - Torpedo #9 Gabriel Wolfe
• McBeth, Colette - Call Me a Liar
• McGeorge, Chris - Now You See Me
• North, Alex - The Whisper Man
• North, Lauren - The Perfect Betrayal
• O'Donohue, Clare - Breaking the Dance #2 A World of Spies
• Organ, Emily - An Unwelcome Guest #7 Penny Green, Victorian Era
• Osterdahl, Martin - Ten Swedes Must Die #2 Max Anger
• Perry, S W - The Serpent's Mark #2 Nicholas Shelby, Elizabethan Era
• Porter, Henry - White Hot Silence #2 Paul Samson
• Ramsay, Caro - Mosaic
• Ricthie, Peter - Our Little Secrets #5 Detective Grace Macallan, Edinburgh
• Ripley, Mike - Mr Campion's Visit #6 Albert Campion
• Roberts, J G - Little Girl Missing #1 DCI Rachel Hart
• Rose, Jacqui - Sinner
• Sacks, Michelle - All the Lost Things
• Sakhlecha, Trisha - Your Truth or Mine?
• Simpson, Sarah - I Know You're There
• Sinclair, Rob - Fugitive 13 #2 Sleeper 13 series
• Spain, Jo - The Boy Who Fell #5 Detective Tom Reynolds, Dublin
• Staalesen, Gunnar - Wolves at the Door #21 Varg Veum, PI in Bergen, Norway
• Walker, Martin - The Body in the Castle Well #12 Bruno, Chief of Police, France
• Walsh, Alexandra - The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy #2 Marquess House Trilogy
• Way, Camilla - Who Killed Ruby?
• Wilkinson, Kerry A Face in the Crowd