Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Translated Crime Challenge

The CWA has announced the qualifying period for the 2007 Duncan Lawrie Dagger awards:
"Any UK publisher may enter books provided that the book is relevant to the appropriate award and was published between June 1 2006 and May 31 2007."

Earlier this year I put together a list of books I considered eligible* for the 2006 International Dagger. That list only included translated crime fiction from Europe. I'd like to create a similar list for 2007 but also include non-European translated crime. So far I've come up with only two titles...'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino (Feb 07, Japan) and 'Havana Blue' by Leonardo Padura (Apr 07, Cuba).

I know the cut-off date is a few months away but I'd have expected some books out by May to be listed on amazon by now.

The challenge is to tell me what authors/books I'm missing! (NB. They have to be published in the UK.)

*I did ask the CWA for this information but they were unable to supply it.

3 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

No non-European titles spring to mind, but once Friedrich Glauser's The Chinaman is released, I expect I'll consider it worthy of awards and pester the award-givers to agree with me.

Glauser died more than sixty years ago, but I believe one of his recently translated novels was at least-short listed for a CWA award. I'm unsure what CWA's eligibility rules are.
========================

Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Hi Peter, yes Fever was eligible for the 2006 award as the first UK publication occured in the qualifying time frame.

I've come up with one more non European in translation - Devil's Peak by Deon Meyer (Apr 07, South African/Afrikaans)

Peter Rozovsky said...

First Afrikaans crime novel I've heard of!