Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Reviews: Edwards, Grimsdale, Guthrie, Kitson, Maclean, Mankell

Many thanks for the kind comments about my back/health. Fortunately I'm ok now and I hope to do a bit more blogging next week compared to this previous one.

Here are this week's new reviews:
Maxine Clarke reviews The Serpent Pool by Martin Edwards, fourth in his Lakeland series which Maxine believes is "is one of the very best crime-fiction series being written today";

Terry Halligan reviews Peter Grimsdale debut novel, Perfect Night;

Amanda Gillies is very enthusiastic about Allan Guthrie's Slammer;

Paul Blackburn reviews Bill Kitson's debut Depth of Despair set in Yorkshire;

Rik Shepherd reviews the paperback edition of The Redemption of Alexander Seaton by Shona Maclean and

Michelle Peckham reviews Henning Mankell's The Man Who Smiled, tr. Laurie Thompson and compares it to the tv show.
Previous reviews can be found in the review archive and forthcoming titles can be found here.

5 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

Some very good reviews in here - Amanda really likes that Allan Guthrie book! And having read The Man Who Smiled and seen the awful TV version, I think Michelle has it spot-on.
I definitely cannot recommend these Martin Edwards books highly enough to anyone who likes a good crime story!

Uriah Robinson said...

Two points from this weeks reviews Maxine has convinced me I must read more Martin Edwards.
And although I haven't read any Mankell for years I agree the Branagh series was not the BBC's finest hour.

Fiona said...

Some sneaky online browsing's kicked up something interesting... Is it correct that you're a judge for this year's International Dagger??

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

might be :).

kathy d. said...

I'm sold on reading the Martin Edwards' book as reviewed here and starting with the first book.

Have to see if the public library here has the series and, if not, go to plan B, and checking out Amazon and the local mystery bookshop.