Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Doctor Who audio book read by David Tennant

A friend of mine kindly lent me The Resurrection Casket, a recent freebie in the Radio Times, which is one of three Doctor Who audio books issued in 2006 which were narrated by David Tennant, each lasting about two and a half hours. I've now got my mitts on The Stone Rose, thanks to the library, but no luck yet with The Feast of the Drowned.

I was very impressed with The Resurrection Casket which would make an exciting tv episode with its killer monster (Kevin), pirates and robots. The banter was just like in the tv show and it was well narrated by David Tennant (except for perhaps his impression of Rose!).

So, I was pleased to see that David Tennant has recorded a new title, which has been available as a download for a month now but has recently come out on cd.


Synopsis: The Doctor and Donna face monstrous insects and a ruthless robot exterminator in this thrilling, exclusive audio story, read by David Tennant. The TARDIS is lost in battle on a distant planet. When the Doctor sets off in pursuit, Donna is left behind, and finds herself accepting a commission in the Pioneer Corps. Something is transforming soldiers into monstrous beetles, and she could be the next victim. Meanwhile, the Doctor steals a motorbike and stages a jailbreak. Well, how hard can it be to find the TARDIS, rescue Donna, and negotiate a peace? But that's before the arrival of a brutal and remorseless mechanical exterminator, bent on wiping out the insects. It may be that nothing can stop it, because this robot's solution for the infestation is very simple: kill everything.

(NB. Amazon.co.uk currently have it for £4.)

Crime fiction posts will resume shortly!

6 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Not really listened to many of the audio adventures besides those that are free in the Radio Times sometimes !

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

This was my first Dr Who one (Resurrection Casket) and I'm very likely to buy the new one!
I like to have an audio book on the go for my commutes and this one came in handy when my train was cancelled last weekend and I had an extra 1/2 hour wait.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

One of the only ones I remember hearing was called The Genocide Machine with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred set on some planet with a huge library, seems funny that next weeks episode is a galactic library too, when I seen the trailer it reminded me of this story, though this Audio adventure featured the Daleks.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

As a library assistant I look forward to the episode with a huge library :-). Looks like we may have to wait a week though, as it's Eurovision time next Saturday according to my online tv guide.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Who in thier right mind is bothered about the Eurovision song contest these days ?!, I don't know why they just don't shove it onto BBC 2 3 or 4.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Yeah, I'm not a Eurovision fan either. Luckily for me I have the last 3 episodes of Season 2 of the new Dr Who to watch - I shall find out what happened to Rose - I've rented the DVD from the library and am looking forward to settling down with it at 7pm after work on Saturday :-).