Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Deadly Communion - Cover Opinions

This week's selection for "cover opinions" is the US and UK titles and covers for Frank Tallis's Deadly Communion which came out in mass market paperback in August. The US edition, due in April 2011, will be entitled Vienna Twilight (keeping with the "Vienna" theme in the US titles).

So what are you thoughts on the US (LHS) and UK (RHS & below) covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with Frank Tallis?

If you have read it, how well does the cover and/or title match the story?

Here is the Euro Crime review by Michelle of Deadly Communion.

US_____________________________________UK (trade paperback)




UK (mass market paperback)

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

I think I am officially 'over' the angel statue motif so I'll go for the bottom one though it would go better with the American title (reminds be a little of Schonbrunn Palace gardens in Vienna)

Muse said...

For hardback and paperback I continue to favour the UK covers.

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

None of the covers really appeals to me.

Maxine Clarke said...

I know what Bernadette means about angels (Ruth Newman's next one has an angel, I see, as did her first), but I do like that blue cover. The other two say "history" (US) and "Jane Austen" (other UK). I have not read these novels but if I did not know anything about them and saw the covers in a bookshop, the blue one is the one I'd pick up for further investigation!

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I much prefer the original British cover, the one with the angel statue. The image is appropriate, and the colors catch one's eye immediately. The other two covers are flat, by comparison.

Cheers,
Jeff

kathy d. said...

I don't really like any of the covers. Angels do not compel me to pick up a book and the bottom cover doesn't look related to the title.

I might like the U.S. cover, but the title throws me off and the cover doesn't seem related to either title.

I don't think I'd pick up any of these books. A good review would pull me in, but that's it.