Thursday, May 21, 2009

BBC4 Enid Blyton programme this autumn

From Digital Spy:

The BBC is producing three major one-off films about the careers of British icons Margot Fonteyn, Gracie Fields and Enid Blyton.

The films will premiere this autumn on BBC Four as part of a special drama season.

"These films are sympathetic but frank dramatisations of women in the spotlight and how their backstage lives play out," said BBC Four controller Richard Klein.

"Once again, BBC Four is championing strong dramas that seek to give insight into some of Britain's most famous artists, reflecting complex lives, conflicting pressures and very human behaviour."

Blyton will be played by Helena Bonham Carter, who stars alongside Matthew Macfadyen and Denis Lawson in the drama.

5 comments:

Mack said...

I'll be interested how this programme turn out. I'm pretty sure that the books in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series were my first ever mysteries.

pattinase (abbott) said...

What I love about GB. They cast A+ actors in TV dramas. Never happens here.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Maureen Lipman would make perfect casting based on the photo I linked to :).

And these programmes get a very small audience on digital channels though it'll probably be shown on BBC2 at a later date.

I loved Enid Blyton - who doesn't want a magic faraway tree or a wishing chair, sigh...

Mack said...

I forgot about the Magic Faraway Tree. Oddly, the only character who has stuck in my mind is Saucepan Man.

Kate S. said...

I'd love to see the Enid Blyton programme. I hope it makes it across the Atlantic eventually! I think that her Famous Five books were my first mysteries too, although I was actually more of a fan of her St. Clare's and Malory Towers series. The British boarding school was remote and exotic terrain to a kid growing up in the middle of the Canadian prairies.