Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What's in a Name?

Eagle eyed viewers may have noticed, I've slipped in an 'Other' in the subtitle of this blog. As Petrona's blog rightly pointed out Britain is part of Europe. When I first started the Euro Crime website, it began with translated crime from Europe and British authors. However when I referred to it as Euro Crime for the European Crime Scene - I wanted a snappy tagline (best I could come up with!) - the fact that it covered Britain too, became a bit lost. So I then said it was for the British and European Crime Scene - a belt and braces approach, if slightly teeth grinding for those of us who see Britain as part of Europe. I haven't come up with a more elegant snappy summary yet. British and other European Countries Crime Scene doesn't quite scan so maybe I need to come up with something completely different. Ideas welcomed...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I hope I did not come over as all pedantic and crusty when I made that Britain/Europe comment on Petrona, apologies if so. I work as an editor on a journal and the number of times ever since Britain joined the EU we have had to change copy by people who blithely carry on acting as if Britain is not part of Europe (not least from non-Europeans) --- it just shrieks out at me whenever I see it now.

That having been said, this is a lovely, wonderful blog and I'm so glad you have started it, being a big fan of Eurocrime (books, and now the blog).

all my best
Maxine aka Petrona.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Hi Maxine, many thanks for your comments. I hope I didn't sound too defensive :-). The name of the website has been an thorny issue from the beginning (a couple of years ago) as I wasn't convinced that it conveyed the content of the site very well but I couldn't think of anything better. I felt a bit better once I discovered that Arcadia had a eurocrime imprint, though that tends to be just for translated novels.

Maxine Clarke said...

Ok, enough of the being nice to each other! I am heading right over to Petrona to put your blog in my "daily read" list. Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job.