Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kafka's Soup

Full article in The Sydney Morning Herald.

"Invite Jane Austen and Geoffrey Chaucer for dinner and serve them Raymond Chandler's lamb with dill sauce.

The brainchild of London photographer and bookish foodie Mark Crick, the recipes in Kafka's Soup - A Complete History of World Literature in 14 Recipes are written in the style of famous authors, from Jane Austen ("It is a truth universally acknowledged that eggs, kept for too long, go off," begins her tarragon eggs recipe) to Irvine Welsh. "

(The recipe for Raymond Chandler's lamb with dill sauce is supplied and begins :)

"I sipped on my whisky sour, ground out my cigarette on the chopping board and watched a bug trying to crawl out of the basin. I needed a table at Maxim's, a hundred bucks and a gorgeous blonde; what I had was a leg of lamb and no clues.

I took hold of the joint. It felt cold and damp, like a coroner's handshake. I took out a knife and cut the lamb into pieces. Feeling the blade in my hand I sliced an onion, and before I knew what I was doing a carrot lay in pieces on the slab. None of them moved."

No comments: