Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Reviews: Adler-Olsen, Kepler, Krajewski, Lackberg, Lewis, Marks

New competition for May:
Win a copy of Stagestruck by Peter Lovesey UK & Europe only

I've added a few more reviews of those titles eligible for the 2011 CWA International Dagger, a topic which I'll be revisiting on the blog before the announcement of the shortlist on Friday, so do check back.

(I'll be at CrimeFest next weekend so there won't be any new reviews next Sunday.)

Here are this week's reviews:
Maxine Clarke reviews Mercy by Jussi Adler-Olsen, tr. Lisa Hartford, the first in the Department Q series;

Lizzie Hayes reviews Lars Kepler's debut The Hypnotist, tr. Ann Long;

I review Marek Krajewski's somewhat seedy but compulsive Phantoms of Breslau, tr. Danusia Stok which though it is the third in the series is set before the previous two;

Maxine also reviews the fourth in the Erica Falck/Patrik Hedstrom series, The Gallows Bird by Camilla Lackberg, tr. Steven T Murray;

Susan White reviews Jonathan Lewis's debut, Into the Darkness

and Geoff Jones reviews Howard Marks's Sympathy for the Devil.
Previous reviews can be found in the review archive and forthcoming titles can be found by author or date, here.

2 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

I reviewed Sister at my blog here: http://petronatwo.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/book-review-sister-by-rosamund-lupton/
I didn't think of seeing if you wanted the review for Euro Crime as I didn't see it as a crime novel (the crime plot is weak I think) but it is a very moving story. If you want to use this review for EC you are very welcome!

kathy d. said...

I was impressed by the review that says that Jussi Adler-Olson's writing of Mercy comes the closest to the style of Sjowall and Wahloo, the "parents" of Scandinavian mystery writing.

I have read five of theirs, and finished their first, "Roseanna," a few weeks ago. I savored that read.

And though I was leery of yet another Scandinavian writer, this comparison will add this book to my TBR list.