Thursday, May 12, 2011

US version of The Killing to be on Channel 4

The news we've all been waiting for (?) - The US remake of The Killing is to be shown on Channel 4 later this year.

From the press release:

Channel 4 has secured the UK premiere free-to-air broadcast rights to Series 1 and 2 of Fox Television Studios' version of cult smash The Killing.

From writer, executive producer and series showrunner Veena Sud (Cold Case), The Killing is based on the wildly successful Danish television series, ‘Forbrydelsen' which centres around the murder of a young girl in Seattle and the subsequent police investigation. The series ties together three distinct stories around the murder, and as it unfolds it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

Season 1, which consists of 13 x1 hour episodes, will receive its U.K. premiere on Channel 4 in 2011.

Of the acquisition Jay Hunt says: 'We are thrilled to acquire The Killing. This intense, atmospheric crime thriller redefines the genre and will sit perfectly alongside Channel 4's stable of award-winning, critically-acclaimed US shows.'

Steve Cornish added: "Following the continued success of other Fox series on Channel 4, we are delighted to be partnered with them on this moving and captivating drama."

Soaked in atmosphere, the slow burning, crime thriller stars Mireille Enos (Big Love) as Sarah Linden, the lead homicide detective that investigates the death of Rosie Larsen; Billy Campbell (Ghost Town, TV's The Practice) as Darren Richmond, Seattle's City Council President and now running for Mayor; Joel Kinnaman (Snabba Cash, God Save The King) as Stephen Holder, an ex-narc cop who joins the homicide division in the investigation to find Rosie's killer; Michelle Forbes (True Blood) as Rosie's mother, Mitch Larsen; and Brent Sexton (Flightplan, TV's The Mentalist) as Rosie's father, Stan Larsen.


I believe there is a different murderer so how likely are you to watch it after watching the Danish version? I've set up a poll on the top-right of the blog. Please cast your vote.

Update

The poll seems to have been lost but I will reinstate it later. These comments have also been lost:

Ivan has left a new comment on your post "US version of The Killing to be on Channel 4":

I will be very interested to see if the Sarah Linden character is as prominent as Sara Lund. I can't see a US crime series being made with a female solo lead (let alone one in a baggy jumper). I'm expecting the 24-style elements to be played up, and more violence/gore.
A lot will also rest on the actors Larsen's mother and father, both of which were absolutely superb in the Danish version.

upkerry11 has left a new comment on your post "US version of The Killing to be on Channel 4":

The American version stinks compared to the original. It's also available minutes after its aired via bittorrent.

6 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

I've voted but I might change my mind ;-)

Ivan said...

I will be very interested to see if the Sarah Linden character is as prominent as Sara Lund. I can't see a US crime series being made with a female solo lead (let alone one in a baggy jumper). I'm expecting the 24-style elements to be played up, and more violence/gore.
A lot will also rest on the actors Larsen's mother and father, both of which were absolutely superb in the Danish version.

Bill said...

The American version stinks compared to the original. It's also available minutes after its aired via bittorrent.

Becky LeJeune said...

We're about halfway through the season here in the States and I wish I could get my hands on the original. I'm hoping it will be available after the remake has finished airing. Not having a comparison, though, I think they've done a great job. I have no clue who the killer is and I can't wait for Sunday nights so I can see the new episode. It's airing on AMC and they've been doing some really good shows of late.

Bernadette said...

either I am blind Karen or something is still 'glitchy' with blogger as I cannot see your poll. But I won't be watching the US version of the killing (having watched the Danish version and enjoyed it a lot)

Mark Bailey said...

I watched the original Danish version some time ago (having bought the Australian DVD releases),
Personally I think that the US version is not that bad.
The plot is condensed but most of the main themes are still there (including the jumper :-) ) and the performances are very good.

What I do hope is that the success of the Killing and Spiral convince the BBC to buy some more continental crime drama - a particular plea would be Commissario Brunetti (German - although a DVD release of the first 4 TV movies with english subs is due in the US any day now).
Although I have seen most of of them - Van Veeteren (Swedish - 9 TV movies in 2 runs - I have only seen the second 6), Irene Huss (Swedish - 6 TV movies out - another 6 are being made), Hamrrin (Icelandic - 4 x 1 hour) & Commissario Montalbano (Italian - 18 TV movies prior to this year, 4 more this year and 4 on order according to imdb) are other good fits.