Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Publishing Deal for Police Officer

From the BBC website:
A police officer has quit his job after landing a £800,000 publishing deal to write crime thrillers.

PC Matt Hilton worked as a beat officer in Cumbria before securing the five novel deal with Hodder and Stoughton.

The 42-year-old, of Carlisle, says he has finally achieved his dream after working for the police and in security.

His first book, Dead Men's Dust, will be published in June next year and the later novels will be released at six-monthly intervals.

He said: "As a police constable I primarily answered 999 calls, and often dealt with violence, theft, robbery and road traffic collisions.

"Although I enjoyed my work, I never felt that I was achieving my ambition, so when the publishing deal came along I resigned from the force immediately, allowing me to do what I've always dreamed of.

"I've been existing on adrenalin since I heard the news."

He has been writing novels since the age of 13 and has had non-fiction magazine articles published before.

After 18 years working in the private security industry he joined Cumbria Police in 2004.

No comments: