Thursday, July 05, 2012

The International Dagger 2012 goes to...

I'm very pleased to announce that the 2012 International Dagger goes to Andrea Camilleri for The Potter's Field. I absolutely loved this novel, superbly translated by Stephen Sartarelli.

(I am finally catching up on the Inspector Montalbano episodes shown earlier this year which are a real treat.)

The other 5 shortlisted titles were:
Maurizio De Giovanni - I Will Have Vengeance tr. Anne Milano Appel
Asa Larsson - Until Thy Wrath be Past tr. Laurie Thompson
Deon Meyer - Trackers tr. K L Seegers
Jo Nesbo - Phantom tr. Don Bartlett
Valerio Varesi - The Dark Valley tr. Joseph Farrell
More about the selected titles can be found at the CWA's website

4 comments:

kathy d. said...

I loved The Potter's Field also, one of my favorites on the escapades of our favorite cantankerous, eccentric, but lovable and brilliant Inspector Salvo Montalbano.

I'm glad to see that Andrea Camilleri won a Dagger for his creations.

Maxine Clarke said...

A very worthy winner, not least for his great body of work. (Although it was not my pick, I am very glad it won, it's a lovely book!).

I, too, very much liked the TV series. It is so real compared with the slick, empty stuff that passes for UK/US TV crime drama (on the whole).

Anonymous said...

maybe now he's won for his body of work they can stop shortlisting him. fine book, funny, but nowhere NEAR as good as trackers or phantom. funny tastes people have.

Kenneth said...

Some of these Dagger nominations and awards make the Golden Globes look good.