Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blue Lightning - Cover Opinions

This week's selection for "cover opinions" is the US and UK hardback covers for Ann Cleeves's Blue Lightning, the fourth in the Shetland quartet (now to be a quintet I believe). The US edition was published yesterday.

So what are you thoughts on the US (LHS) and UK (RHS) covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with Ann Cleeves?

If you have read it, how well does the cover match the story?

Here is the Euro Crime review by Maxine of Blue Lightning.

9 comments:

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Have not read 'Blue Lightning' yet but the UK cover seems much more attractive to me.

Maxine Clarke said...

I definitely like the UK cover the best by far. It is a great photograph, it is relevant to the book, and it is blue. The US one, well, it is blue but it could just as well be a cover for Daphne Du Maurier or Bill Oddie!

Sarah Hilary said...

Bill Oddie! Very droll, Maxine, that made me chuckle. Yes, I've read it and the UK cover is easily the better one.

Bernadette said...

Not read it yet (am just about to start its immediate predecessor in audio format) but it seems that the UK one is the only one which makes sense. 'Sides I hate birds

Nikki in Niagara said...

I'm not familiar with Ann Cleeves and I prefer the UK cover. The US one makes me think of some type of literary novel while the UK one makes me think of something mysterious or dark.

Anonymous said...

Karen - My choice is the UK cover. Something about it just draws me in...

Dorte H said...

I have not read this one yet, but I agree that the UK cover suits an Ann Cleeves novel.

kathy d. said...

I don't mind either cover as I like covers in blues and greens and aquas, but I have not read the book.

So, I'll go with those who have read it and prefer the UK cover as being more relevant to the plot.

The US one makes me think of Hitchcock's famous movie, "The Birds."

Pat said...

Purely as a cover image I like the US cover, but having read the book then the UK cover is more relevant and has more of a connection to the book.