Monday, April 13, 2009

Audio Book Interruptus

It's taken me a couple of cds to get into listening to S J Bolton's Sacrifice. But I'm hooked now and was merrily proceeding onto disk 5 (out of 12) when my cd player refused to recognise the disk. In vain, I tried it on a couple of other devices but it seems that the cd is defunct. I have the only book on cd version in Birmingham libraries and of course all the copies of the book are out on loan at the moment so it will be a few days before I can read the 30 or so pages covered on that disk.

So I'm not quite sure what to listen to next as I'll probably 'abandon' that one for a bit whilst I finish off Sacrifice. The choices are: P D James - The Private Patient (12 cds), Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker (8 cds) or I have some Doctor Who books to listen to (1-2 cds each) or the first part of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (4 cds) which I bought a while ago but have been saving for the 'right' moment.

Decisions...

4 comments:

Mack said...

Mark Lawson would say that you should be reading the book and not listening to it. After all, it isn't like a chapter is going to go bad on you.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

But I'd probably walk into a lamp-post if I tried to read and walk!

Dorte H said...

Well, I bought a used book a few years ago and found out later that four of the pages were blank.
I would choose P.D. James next. I haven´t bought it yet, but I will when I can find a copy at a reasonable price (from someone who is willing to ship it to DK)

Maxine Clarke said...

How frustrating! I bought one of Lisa Marklund books second hand and took it on holiday a couple of years ago (no internet access)- only to find the last section of 30 pages or so were missing. I had no idea what happened - until I got home, emailed the seller who very kindly (and quickly) sent me a replacment.
I have not read the PD James - I find she has been getting rather slow in the past few years - but very much enjoyed Bruno, against my initial expectations. Light, warm but with a serious edge to it. Engaging main character. Not a huge amount to the actual mystery, but a lovely easy read, and funny.