Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Laughing Policeman

Reading matters has drawn my attention to 'Toby Litt's Cult Choice' which this month is 'The Laughing Policeman' by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. The article begins thus:
Wife and husband Maj Sjowall (1935-) and Per Wahloo (1926-1975) decided that together they would write ten crime novels, and together – over the next ten years – they wrote ten crime novels.

These were constructed with the openly Marxist intention of using the crime novel as 'a scalpel cutting open the belly of an ideologically pauperized and morally debatable so-called welfare state of the bourgeois type'.
Continue reading the article here

I've got 'Roseanna' and 'The Man Who Went Up in Smoke' in my TBR and one day I'll get to them...

1 comment:

Uriah Robinson said...

"I've got 'Roseanna' and 'The Man Who Went Up in Smoke' in my TBR and one day I'll get to them..."

A treat awaits you Karen, the Martin Beck books are one of the best police procedurals ever written and way ahead of their time.